Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

If httpd writes a complete line, to any kind of a file descriptor,
anything beyond that is out of our control and becomes a question of the
quality of the piped logger, filesystem or whatever else is on the other
side of that file-descriptor.

Maybe I'm just being difficult, but I'm still not sold on it :) While I understand all that you wrote, the possibilities of getting "partial line" with normal piped logs irks me. Maybe it's just a personal thing...

I prefer to have something like:

length of message, message, sync bit

(message could be many log lines)

That way it's easy to ensure you get complete log entries and detect when you don't. I could write a piped logger that did this, but I'd have to detect when the lines begin and end and mod_log_config already knows that.

Yes, for 90+% of the time, piped logs are great.

--
Brian Akins
Lead Systems Engineer