On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

Question;

I'm looking for input what version of visual c++ we should build apr 1.x
and httpd 2.1.x and onwards with.  As most are aware, discrepancies in
the clib mean that mismatched posix open()/close(), malloc()/free() can
all cause serious problems, so a single version is vastly preferable.

Open to comments...

One aspect worth considering is the interaction with Perl,
and the fact that the dominant Win32 binary distribution
from ActiveState is compiled with VC++ 6. I would expect
there to be problems with the mod_perl module if one uses ActiveState's Perl and an Apache compiled with something other than VC++ 6. Might there be problems using such
a Perl in a cgi script with a non-VC++ 6 Apache?

Of course, one is not restricted to using ActiveState's
Perl, but could instead use some other freely available binary. However, ActiveState supplies with their ActivePerl some proprietary tools (ppm, for installing binary packages,
and some related tools for managing html docs), which
users have come to heavily rely on.

Having said that, within the Perl world there is also pressure to migrate to a binary based on a freely available, and more recent, VC++ (but, hopefully, not tied to a particular msvcr dll version). It would be ideal
if Apache and ActiveState could coordinate such a migration;
however, from ActiveState's point of view, this might
not be a consideration until the next major release of
perl (5.10), as this most likely won't be binary-comaptible
with the current (5.8) version.

--
best regards,
randy kobes