--On November 15, 2005 3:33:56 PM -0500 Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the new auth system.

All the Auth*Authoritative directives seem to have copied their docs
content from someplace that refers to "lower level modules (as defined in
the modules.c files)".  What the heck does that mean in an httpd 2.x
context?

No clue.

Isn't the ordering really determined by hook-ordering, which
makes it essentially arbitrary since they are mostly HOOK_MIDDLE?

The ordering/implications is now governed by either the provider lists (as specified in the Auth*Provider directives) or the hooks (as per Auth*Authoritative if a module doesn't participate in the new provider scheme).

The provider system is, IMHO, a far cleaner way of resolving the Auth*Authoritative issues; but is maintained for legacy purposes for Authentication or for the Authorization system which hasn't been touched with the Provider system. -- justin