Joost de Heer wrote:
>>> That could be external to httpd.  Just have a monitor (or in cfengine,
>>> or whatever) that when the config changes it issues a graceful restart.
>>> Simple and straight-forward.
>

> Oops, I made a typo, and pressed save..... poof there goes my website!
>
> IMO, it's a bad idea to automagically restart when the config changes.

Not necessarily. For instance, the FreeBSD port installs a wrapper script that
checks the validity of the config files before allowing a (re)start. It even
uses httpd to do the check. So, as long as httpd uses its existing validity
checker to decide whether or not to do an auto-restart your website should be
fine.

Of course, that doesn't really help much if you made a typo that results in a
valid config, but there's nothing to stop that now either.