Francis ANDRE wrote:

I do not address APR, but httpd. So even if APR seems to need make (while I am not really convince that ant cannot makes the job)., ant could be use for the httpd build process.

The biggest body of work that needs to be done during the build is handled in the ./configure script. The ./configure script (built by autoconf) is designed already to handle the different types of make out there.

Changing from make to ant would involve teaching autoconf to create ./configure to make ant scripts instead of Makefiles, and that's just doing the same thing just using a different program, it buys nothing.

If however you extended ant so that it could do the job of autoconf/configure, then you would be onto something. But only on platforms that supported Java, of course.

Regards,
Graham