On Jul 28, 2006, at 2:31 AM, Nick Kew wrote:

I'm in two minds about that.  There is the workaround of
configure --with-pcre
but where does that leave packages?  PR#27550 names two
modules that needed to work around the bundled PCRE:
mod_php and mod_caml.  That implies two workarounds for the
same problem.  What if the PHP and CAML folks (or AN Other with
the same problem) were to adopt mutually incompatible solutions?

AFAICT the only mitigating circumstance is that this patch is not
the underlying problem, so I'm complaining at a symptom rather
than the cause.  But it feels like "when in a hole, dig deeper".

Your reasoning may be valid for trunk, but not for 2.2.  2.2 is
saddled with a builtin PCRE and it would be foolish not to fix
its bugs to the extent that we can do so without breaking binaries.

I suggest you put the energy into finding a clean way to remove
PCRE from trunk.  Until we do that, "no patches to PCRE" is an
irresponsible position -- we have to maintain the code that we ship.

....Roy