Pradeep,

I can't remember if I posted the results of the SSL issue and high CPU usage.
We tracked it to a bug in the solaris driver for the Sun daughter card, some
mutex issue if my memory serves me correctly. Sun confirmed and issued a
patch a while ago. As discussed in the quoted post I did not believe it was
an apache issue for the SSL but I showed dumps for a corresponding write
issue with a forward proxy in an early anticipation it may be related.

This forward proxy problem I had sounds similar to your issue where apache
appears not to test a return value for a write but it did not utilise large
CPU. Currently I run 2.2.2 and have observed the same write problem as I did
with 2.0.53. One main issue I have with this is the download continues while
the write fails so effectively the active connection is not in sound
communication with the passive.

I put the huge memory usage down to the byte range bug as these processes were
nearly always streaming or FTPing large files. I have not seen this memory
usage with the version I am running even when I see the write problem.

To clarify your issue are you running SSL and if so are you using hardware
crypto? I assume you are using solaris, is it patched for crypto re: above
and what version of solaris are you using?

Regards,
Jon