Paul Querna wrote:

> Successful CPAN-like systems were mostly started back when package
> management was an enormous pain.  It still is on some platforms
> *cough*solaris*cough*, but they are generally the exception these days.

Also, in almost every case CPAN-style systems focus on one language, their
own, no matter if it's scripted or VM-style.  It means pluggable bits of
the core language are easily expanded.  Even PHP's Pear follows this basic
pattern.

C isn't Apache, and Apache modules, although many, many are written in C,
can be implemented in many languages.  I tend to agree with Paul that the
plug-n-go style package repositories are a better fit, even when they come
up short on Solaris/Win32/etc.