On Feb 13, 2007, at 11:32 PM, Paul Querna wrote:

I believe the httpd project is ready for a push towards the next major
version.

So do I.  In fact I was just about to create a sandbox for that purpose
yesterday, but had to get the crypto stuff sorted out first.

But do we really want to start by calling it 3.0?  How about if we
work off of a few code names first?  Say, for example, "amsterdam".
The reason is because there will be some overlap between ideas of
how to do certain things, with a variety of overlapping breakage
that can get pretty annoying if you "just want to get one part working
first".

I want people to be able to break things in one tree without blocking
others.  And then, say once a month, we all agree on what parts are
"finished" enough to merge into all sandbox trees.

The reason I was about to start the sandbox thing is because I've
been thinking about moving away from the MPM design.  To be precise,
I mean that we should get closer to the kernels on the more modern
platforms and find a way to stay in kernel-land until a valid
request is received (with load restrictions tested and ipfw applied
automatically), transform the request into a waka message, and then
dispatch that request to a process running under a userid that matches
a prefix on the URI. That's pretty far out, though, and I wouldn't
want it to stand in the way of any shorter term goals.

In the mean time, I would like to start the sandbox and move the
goals and requirements discussion into subversion (where it can be
saved and comments don't get lost).

....Roy