-1 on the face of things.  The map_to_storage hook was added to accomplish
what you desire.

I thought map_to_storage was made to do per-dir configuration. Not
path-translation.

The problem is not really doing the translation. I can always provide
my own translate handler in my module.

But in the current API I cannot to set my env. variables at will. They
will be overwritten by ap_add_common_vars which returns
carved-in-stone docroot from ap_document_root.

My only other option is to patch every single module which calls
add_common_vars, that is,  cgi,cgid, fastcgi, includes,...

I thought a document_root hook was more elegant. Or maybe a
add_common_vars hook? [I would be happy to supply it]

Unfortunately it is not coupled to the DOCUMENT_ROOT
variable, but I'd look at remedying this over building on ap_document_root,
which should simply go away, IMHO.

What's so bad about ap_document_root?  I know the source says 'dont
use' because it won't be right with mod_userdir etc. But with a hook
it would be possible to get right.

/Jakob