Guenter Knauf wrote:
Hi,
On 5/9/07, Guenter Knauf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Apache 2.0.x -> has to use APR 0.9.x
Apache 2.2.x -> has to use APR 1.2.x
Apache 2.3.x -> has to use APR 1.3.x

is this now a mandatory relationship, or is it valid to:

build Apache 2.2.x with APR 1.3.x

This would likely work, but I wouldn't recommend it for official
builds.  You wouldn't want module authors to start depending on new
functionality in APR 1.3.x when most versions of Apache 2.2.x don't
have that.

build Apache 2.3.x with APR 1.2.x

That /might/ work, unless Apache is depending on new functionality in
APR 1.3.x, which it very well might be.  One of those "YMMV, if it
breaks you get to keep both pieces" kind of situations.

ok, that's exactly what I thought too - thanks for confirming....

So how about the future? Will this relationship continue?
there is no guarantee of this. APR might slow down it's development and 2.4 might ship with APR 1.3. it really depends on what new versions of httpd require from the portability layer.

regards
Ian
thanks, Guenter.