On Dec 4, 2007 11:54 AM, Guenter Knauf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> > The usernames in WIN32 are, IIRC , case insensitive (and they are in
> > BS2000, and perhaps in OS2?).
> when authenticating against system accounts then NetWare is insensitive too.
>
> > Some of the username auth code uses tables, and thus case insensitive
> > matching, but at some places, user names are compared literally.
>
> > The appended patch tries to make these literal comparisons
> > case insensitive, too, by using strcasecmp() in place of strcmp().
> just a thought:
> if we would create a new API like ap_cmp_username() we could use a
> configure flag like AuthCmpUserCaseInSensitive, and let the user self
> control the behavior instead of having it hardcoded platform-dependent;
> f.e. I think that if you use file-based auth on Win32 why shouldnt that
> be case-sensitive if the user wants that?
> Or am I missing something here?

FWIW, z/OS "system" accounts are case insensitive too, and an auth
module which checks the system account database needs to perform case
insignificant comparisons just like telnetd or other servers would.

But I like the idea that these non-system-account auth modules perform
the same type of comparison on all platforms, and the administrator
anywhere could opt for case-insignificant comparisons where
appropriate.