Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

Why should we diverge based on the server's platform?  -- justin

+1; this is a huge concern.  I agree with others that the option to
flip to a case-insensitive username is nice, I don't think it's an
admin control (or shouldn't be tested as the admin control).

It should probably be populated by the auth mechanism itself, which
will know if it did a case insensitive compare, or a case insensitive
lookup from NIS or SQL etc.

So...

 * if there is a user flag to allow case insensitive user names, that
   must be a directive at the auth provider

 * the auth provider needs to tag the username identified as either
   case sensitive or case sensitive, for later providers such as group
   lookups to behave properly.