On Jan 25, 2008 6:18 PM, Akins, Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 1/24/08 3:14 PM, "Olaf van der Spek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Working on making a FastCGI based setup the recommended approach
> > instead of mod_php is probably more important then async. Actually,
> > it's a prerequisite.
>
> Fastcgi is the "recommended way of using php and httpd 2, AFAIK. Isn't it???

Where can I read about that recommendation?
I can't find it in the Apache or PHP manuals.
mod_php appears to be *the* solution.

> > What about a hybrid approach?
> > Async for network IO and other stuff that doesn't require sync calls,
> > worker threads for other parts?
>
> That's kind of what I was thinking after Apachecon US this year.  I won't
> speak for others, but it seemed reasonable to most.  However, after doing
> several real world tests, I just don't honestly see that async will be a
> huge improvement.  Please prove me wrong with real world results.  I'd be
> more than happy to be wrong on this, really.

I don't have real world test results.
Have you tested the 30k scenario with an async web server?
And do all platforms have such cheap threading as your test platform?

> To be honest, I don't have strong feelings either way.  I was surprised by
> my results.  I, now, think that completely rewriting the core to be async
> *may be* a "waste of resources." If it fits nicely into some ideas on
> reengineering buckets and brigades (ala serf stuff), and does not actually
> decrease overall performance, then by all means do it.
>
> Remember, I'm partially playing devil's advocate as well...

I noticed. ;)