On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jim Jagielski
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2008 17:07
An: dev@httpd.apache.org
Betreff: ping for http in mod_proxy

I've started looking at adding "ping" support for
mod_proxy_http to complement whats in mod_proxy_ajp...
The idea is to send a simple OPTIONS * to the backend
and hope for a reply.

The rub is that I've been working on 2 separate
implementations: one talks direct to the socket and the
other basically tries to do what ap_proxy_http_request()
and ap_proxy_http_process_response() does, as far
as using brigades, etc... The former is much further
along, btw.

We cannot use the socket approach since we need to be able to
handle SSL backend connections and this requires the brigades - filters
approach.

The initial approach was to not honor SSL connections and
just ignore that... The idea that we really want a fast and
dirty "Are you there" flag, so to avoid as much overhead
as possible...