On 04/12/2008 07:20 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
This is something I have been thinking about for awhile, and discussed with a few other http server people before.

I think that for the 'stable' branch, we should move to time based releases.

I like this if it is seen as some kind of reminder that we really should
do a new release. But I would not like to see the timeframe written into
stone. It should be possible to

- postpone the release if we can't finish up an important patch at this
  time which should be included in the next release (e.g. a regression)
  or if we need to wait for an apr / apr-util release which might need
  / should also follow this schedule then. So quality before rush.

- skip a release if there are only very few and not important patches
  (whatever this means could be subject to an interesting discussion :-),
  but at least for the number of changes I tend to say <= 3).
  It lowers the pain for (most) of our users and us, because a release
  always creates work.

My proposal is for every 2 months, we do a release of the main stable branch, which at this time is 2.2.x.

I would like to go for 3 month, so four times per year or once each quarter.

Security Issues of great importance of course would trigger an immediate release. Depending on the nearness to a scheduled release, we may or may not scrap the next time based release.

Sure.

Regards

Rüdiger