On Apr 15, 2008, at 6:53 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Paul Querna wrote:
For those who were not there, slides from Roy's keynote at ApacheCon EU:
  <http://roy.gbiv.com/talks/200804_Apache3_ApacheCon.pdf>
I came away with one question...
if you read the slides you should understand Roy as pointing out the
relative peaks and valleys in traffic, corresponding to regular v.s.
drawn out release cycles, and general "energy level".
But measuring the list as "energy" - Roy did you factor in the various
[EMAIL PROTECTED] traffic (and earlier generations?)

No, mostly because I didn't have time.

My experience is that the numbers on those lists are dominated by
repetition rather than actual communication.  Things like people closing
out old bugs, spammers, the 500th duplicate of some bug that hasn't been
fixed in five years, etc.  The stuff that actually applies to the server
tends to make its way onto the dev list traffic (several times, sadly).

I wanted to emphasize more the amount that we try to communicate with
each other in collaboration, rather than the amount of individual
additions to the code/docs.

In doing so, here's the net effect if we look at dev, bugs, cvs and docs
where the actual "work gets done" so to speak.

http://httpd.markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.apache.httpd.dev+list %3Aorg.apache.httpd.bugs+list%3Aorg.apache.httpd.cvs+list% 3Aorg.apache.httpd.docs

[this ignores any possible resolutions which are created in the spheres
of users@, testers@ and so forth, but those lists existed pretty much
throughout the history of the project].

It also overemphasizes the mass-generated commits, particularly in docs,
but it is nice to see anyway.

....Roy