Mladen Turk wrote:
Ruediger Pluem wrote:
Not exactly. I would prefer to fix the basic issue with Windows. If we need to support milliseconds for connection timeouts seems to be another story for me. Can some of the Windows gurus come to the rescue to either confirm and explain why it takes that long for connect to return after trying to connect to a closed port (on the same machine !!!) or if this must be a local issue on a specific machine.
According to the Microsoft
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314053)

TcpMaxConnectRetransmissions
Key: Tcpip\Parameters
Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number
Valid Range: 0 - 0xFFFFFFFF
Default: 2
Description: This parameter determines the number of times that TCP retransmits a connect request (SYN) before aborting the attempt. The retransmission timeout is doubled with each successive retransmission in a particular connect attempt. The initial timeout value is three seconds.

So, looks like with default of 2 retransmits there is at least 9
second delay.
Hmm... Oddly I'm seeing right around 1 second (just a little over) delay for the rejection of each connection on a port on which nothing is listening. This obviously does not match up with the 9 seconds in any way.

--
Jess Holle