Akins, Brian wrote:

Would not the generic "store-and-forward" approach I sent last week help all
of these situations?  It effective turns any request into a "sendfiled"
response.  Let me do some checking and I may be able to just donate the
code, since it's basically a very hacked up mod_deflate crossed with
mod_xsendfile.  It works for us, but we don't use the stock proxy, so not
100% it will help if the frontend and backend pools are somehow "linked."

This technique was used in the large disk cache work from 2006, and worked very well.

Whether it will work in the current flow though I am not so sure. The current flow looks like this:

read-backend -> write-and-flush-frontend -> disconnect-backend

As I understand it, the flush part is the killer. The disconnect-backend should happen before the flush, not after.

Regards,
Graham