From: Graham Leggett [mailto:minf...@sharp.fm]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 12:29 PM
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: Sending data to client

Hracek, Petr wrote:

> I am migrating apache module from version 1.3.41 to version 2.2.3
> All seems to be OK but only one thing remains as not working and I have no
> idea how to solve
> it in Apache 2.2.
>
> In the version 1.3.41 I used to following code for sending data to client:
> ap_soft_timeout ("TEXT MESSAGE",r);
> ap_rwrite(MESSAGE_TO_CLIENT, strlen(MESSAGE_TO_CLIENT),r);
> ap_kill_timeout(r);
>
> How can send data to client on Apache 2.2?

Apache v2.0 (and v2.2) introduced the concept of an input and an output
filter stack to handle the problem of reading from and writing to the
network.

The input filter stack is a chain of code that reads data in from the
network. Filters in the stack along the way might uncompress the data,
decrypt the data, or do any of a number of things to the data before
handing the data to you.

The output filter stack is a chain of code that writes data to the
network, and is the one you want to care about. The output filter stack
might encrypt, compress, chunk or otherwise process the data you send,
and you don't need to know or care how this is done.

The filter stacks solved a long standing problem in Apache 1.3, which if
you wanted to process data that was entering or leaving the server, you
couldn't really without hacking away at the core.

So, to come round and actually answer your question, in Apache v2.2, you
want to write your data to the output filter stack.

The best examples are in the webserver itself. The least confusing
module to use as an example would probably be the status_handler
function inside mod_status, which uses ap_rputs() and ap_rvputs() to
write strings to the network, which sounds like what you are doing.

If you want to have more control over the data you are sending, you can
call ap_pass_brigade() to "write" some data, in the form of a bucket
bridge, to the network in your response.

This second option allows you to send any number of things to the
network, from static areas of memory, to files on disk, in a very
efficient way. For more information about bucket brigades, read the docs
for the bucket brigade API in APR:

http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr-util/trunk/group___a_p_r___util___bucket___brigades.html

Regards,
Graham