On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com> wrote:
> How is the balancer supposed to know that one valid HTTP response
> is an error while another is correct?  A 404 or other error response
> doesn't mean there's a problem with the server!

These HTTP responses can be configured in httpd.conf. Something like:

PROXY_BALANCER_RETRY 404
PROXY_BALANCER_RETRY 405
PROXY_BALANCER_RETRY 406

Yes, you are right, 404 does not mean that there is an error, but it
could. I'd rather try asking few more workers (attempt limit) before
returning error, than return right now error.

Feature that I am talking about gives freedom. It should be very
useful when creating high availability systems. Right now mod_proxy
declares policy that only theeese errors are true errors and only if
getting these we should retry. I think it is not right.

--
Marko Kevac