On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de> wrote:
> You have chosen an especially problematic example. If a "not found"
> triggers error status for the worker, then you will have continuous
> denial of service.
>
> Nearly every productive web server I know of, has every now and then
> (most of them more often) a "not found" in the logs.  Examples are
> people don't have a favourites icon, have broken links, broken proxies
> in between, the usual attacker URLs e.g. for mysqladmin etc. Any random
> URL I send to your web server will trigger a "not found".
>
> You said "make it configurable". I doubt, that you will find many cases,
> that are really worth making them configurable, i.e. they happen in real
> world with a broken backend, but still can be used as a stable indicator
> for a broken backend.

Don't stuck on 404. It can be any other HTTP error. 403, 401,
BAD_REQUEST, anything...

I know that situation that I am talking about don't happen very often,
but it can happen. Architectors of high availability systems can
experience such problem. In that case they can patch mod_proxy (which
we will probably do if proposition can't find place in apache httpd)
of swich to another proxy server.

Feature I am proposing will allow users to change behaviour of proxy
balancer and at the same time it will not ruin anything that exists by
now.

--
Marko Kevac