On Jun 16, 2009, at 18:43, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

This might be NotFoundHandler or for dir-not-file, ListingHandler.

Sorry; not ListingHandler, but IndexHandler.

But there is no point to a NotFoundHandler; the existing mechanics
in ScriptAlias combined with PATH_INFO solve that problem already.

I think the interest was in handling the directory resource URI and
that would be an IndexHandler, absolutely.

The intent was to call a something (I'd call it a handler) for requests that don't correspond to a resource. This is to answer the frequent configuration:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . index.php [PT]

ie - if the request wasn't for a file, send the request directly to index.php (or index.pl, or wordpress.php, or whatever)

and variations thereof that occur in every PHP web app I install these days. This situation is common enough that it seems like something we aught to support out of the box.

--
In America, through pressure of conformity, there is freedom of choice, but nothing to choose from. (Peter Ustinov)