Jim Jagielski wrote:

> What's wrong with a pointer to the patch in STATUS and a vote there?

Nothing.  I found it overkill for what is being accomplished here, and just
suggested the best way to get me to spend my cycles reviewing the effort.

Since now three people object to this, I'm sure Guenter will find three
reviewers anxiously awaiting his revert, his patch filed in STATUS, and
will provide three +1's (or usual commentary/improvements) in just days :)

Totally in support of STATUS for backports; this code differs enough that
it's no longer a backport.  The toolkit wrappers alone were significantly
re-factored between these branches.