On Wednesday 21 April 2010 22:38:06 you wrote:
> On 4/21/2010 2:13 PM, Javier Llorente wrote:

> >> Well, that's not happening then, but thanks for your enthusiasm :)
> >
> > I have used some LGPL'ed icons. However, from my understanding of the
> > LGPL, I could change the license of my collection to make it compatible;
> >
> > Quoting from http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html
> >
> > 4. Combined Works.
> >
> > You may convey a Combined Work under terms of your choice that, taken
> > together, effectively do not restrict modification of the portions of the
> > Library contained in the Combined Work and reverse engineering for
> > debugging such modifications, if you also do each of the following:
> >
> >     * a) Give prominent notice with each copy of the Combined Work that
> > the Library is used in it and that the Library and its use are covered by
> > this License.
> >     * b) Accompany the Combined Work with a copy of the GNU GPL and this
> > license document.
> > [...]
>
> First; works won't be accepted with a[ny] GPL license [AGPL, LGPL, GPL
>  etc]. The existence of two license files in the source repository would be
>  confusing and misleading to the user, where the ASF has chosen to
>  distribute the code strictly under one (non-copyleft) election among
>  multiple licenses offered.
>
> Second; the ASF will not combine source code works.  The combination you
>  quote above that can and do inevitably happen with the use of ASF works
>  when used in combination with copyleft works is left to the user's
>  discretion and for the user to decipher and comply with (in terms of their
>  net responsibilities under the combined licenses).  This paragraph deals
>  with, for example, SuSE's choice to combine Apache httpd with your icon
>  collection.
>
> Now, the ASF is happy to consider contributions under the Apache License,
>  or any license which does not add additional restrictions (e.g. copyleft
>  clauses) or subtract any rights (e.g. non-commercial use only clauses)
>  when added into the Apache License of the combined work.  For example, the
>  BSD license, sans advertising requirement, satisfies this consideration.
>
> The choice of license here is interesting; because your work should
>  necessarily always be conveyed in source code (e.g. an image
>  representation) that is transmitted to all end users (e.g. as broadly as
>  the AGPL would require) there is really no difference between licensing
>  these icons in BSD, AL, or LGPL. Licensing in GPL or AGPL would of course
>  add further requirements with respect to the source code of the entire
>  work.  The only right you lose in offering a more flexible BSD or AL,
>  rather than LGPL, is the redistribution with reuse license requirement of
>  any modified icons if someone based a set of icons on your original art.
>
> So if these are your own originala works, and you have not conveyed all
>  copyright to another party (e.g. the FSF) - but retain the right to convey
> [...]

Here's a more detailed explanation of my situation:

I have hand picked some Oxygen icons, adapted (modified) some Oxygen and
Crystal icons, and created the configuration & README.

The Oxygen icons are under both LGPL and CC-by-SA
Quoting http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
[...]
"Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may
distribute the resulting work only under the same, similar or a compatible
license."

It seems to me that the cc-by-sa is ok in this case. I could re-license my
collection to have it under the Apache license.

The Crystal icons are under the LGPL (only, no dual licensing from what I've
read). So I understand that here lies the problem. I could look for a solution
like replacing them (they're just a few).

Another possibility could be having distributions (if they choose to do so)
shipping Apache with this collection of icons enabled by default. But I prefer
contributing my grain of salt upstream so that anyone can use it, regardless
of the distribution.

BTW, thanks a lot for you explanation on licensing :)

Greetings,
--
Javier Llorente