On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:59 AM, "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group"
<ruediger.pl...@vodafone.com> wrote:
> Basicly all this stuff is done to use the advanced features of C99 compilers
> that allow us to check with low effort whether a call to the error logging
> function is needed at all given the currently configured loglevel.
> This should improve performance, especially as the new logging API encourages
> to log even more details as it is now possible to limit the level of log
> detail
> to specific modules or even requests.
> For the gory details the dev@ archives should be consulted. See various
> threads in March, April and May that all have loglevel in the subject.

I read through the archives and only saw anecdotal evidence that it'd
give a performance improvement.  (If there is a pointer indicating the
specific speed-up of all of this indirection and I just missed it,
lemme know.)

This is the crux of my concern - "should" improve performance at the
very substantial cost of increasing complexity for understanding the
codebase (especially without comments).

Turning on grumpy old man mode, I don't think we ever used to tradeoff
understanding of the code for .00001% performance improvement.  It
smells of premature optimization and the amount of indirection makes
very very hard to track down what is going wrong when the API is
busted.  -- justin