On 10/19/2010 3:03 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

Of course they will still use it.  If you want to mandate config
changes, then release it as httpd 3.x.  Keeling over a website when
they perform a *minor* version upgrade is foolish.  Version numbers
are cheap.

The auth config / requires changes significantly already between 2.0, 2.2,
and 2.4, so they already have to modify their configurations.

Right, although not very nice to users the AAA behaviour changed already in the past and I think the gains in this case outweighted the annoyance.

Concerning Limit I agree, that there is a huge risk that users don't know about the bad side effects. They intend to restrict access but are not aware that they might remove other explicitely configured access restrictions by that. I remember very well how astonished I was when I first ran into those side effects.

So I agree with removing and in this case forcing users to rethink their configuration. IMHO most users do not expect 100% configuration compatibility when switching from 2.0 to 2.2 or 2.2 to 2.4. Of course we should provide a helpful docs page about configuration incompatibilities.

Regards,

Rainer