I would like to propose an enhancement to the Apache web server for
secure authentication.

If this is the wrong list, pls. reply with the correct list and I will
post it there.

SSH allows a user to create a public/private key pair and use that for
authentication. This is much more secure than simply using passwords
and adds the ability to add 'something you have' for multi-factor
authentication. I propose that the same functionality would be enabled
for web authentication.

This functionality would require support on the server and in the
client browser. The server would need to have the ability to store and
recognize a public keys for authentication. The client browser would
need to have the ability to create public/private keys and store them
securely. It would also need to have the ability to copy the keys to
other computers (home/work) or store them on a USB thumb drive for
remote access.

This functionality would be used primarily for web sites that require
secure authentication, such as banks, Ebay, and Paypal.

Do you think this is a good idea?