I understand your skepticism, but I am not advocating a complex CA
infrastructure and I have more faith in end users (possibly
misplaced). IMHO, it is reasonable for users to take that extra step
for their banking site or SSL-VPN. It's really not that big a deal to
generate a key pair in PuTTY, I can't imagine it would be that hard in
Firefox. The question about whether it will be immediately and
enthusiastically adopted by end users on their Facebook site is not
the point.

A bank or Paypal does not need to issue certificates. In fact, I
believe that self-signed keys like in the PGP model would be more
appropriate, because that key pair could be used for multiple sites. A
single key pair could be used in different browsers and computers, and
if they are lost, a new key pair could be generated and the old pair
revoked by the user just like in PGP. With self-signed keys, you don't
need to deal with CAs, CRLs, etc., which I agree would be too
burdensome.

Generating a key pair for SSH is pretty trivial, and using a wizard in
Firefox would simplify it enough to be accessible to just about
anyone.

Yes, authentication boils down to trust. This is the advantage of
using multi-factor authentication. You would then have something you
know (username and password) and something you have (private key).
This is required in the newer PCI & HIPAA requirements as well.