Thanks for that explanation Graham!

I wasn't thinking in terms of CA-signed certificates like you and
Issac pointed out, but more of a PGP-type model, where I could use my
own self-signed public/private key pair created in Firefox  to
authenticate to many web sites. I realize that self-signed certs
aren't as secure (from the server's point of view), but I could
authenticate and answer pre-assigned secret questions before uploading
my public key to confirm my identity before the server accepts it. I'd
still be grateful for the additional security of CA-signed certs if my
bank and Paypal would use them..

-rob