On 12/12/2010 5:56 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2010, at 12:23 AM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
>
>> I have looked at the patch and it looks reasonable. The fact that two
>> known modules (mod_vhost_ldap and mod_ftp) copy the whole server_rec
>> just to change the document root means that this feature is needed.
>
> An idea from left field.
>
> Is there a reason that DocumentRoot is a virtual host wide setting?

Yes, root describes "/", there is only one <Location "/">.

> Does it not make sense to make it per-Location instead?

No, but MountFilePath /path/to/foo in a Location basis makes sense.

You might think I just said the same thing, but I had brought this up
before back around the beginnings of 2.0.  DocumentRoot is an awfully
ancient and limiting construct.  Some suggest Alias is the same thing
(which it is, in one sense), but it seems like we could fold both into
a single concept.

The reason you are still stuck with legacy docroot constructs is CGI, etc.