Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumpleton <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/8/4 Daniel Ruggeri <DRuggeri <at> primary.net>:
> > On 8/3/2010 9:57 AM, JeHo Park wrote:
> >> hello ~
> >> it's my first mail to apache dev .. and i am beginner of the apache.
> >> Anyway ... recently, i wrote transparent proxy [tproxy2] patch to the
> >> httpd-2.2.15
> >> because i needed web proxy and needed to know the source address of
> >> any client who try to connect to my web server
> >> and after all, i tested the performance of my patched tproxy with
> >> AVALANCHE 2900. if anyone ask me the performance result, i will send
> >> it to him [the size of the test result pdf is big size]
> >> *- here is the platform infomation this patch applied ---*
> >> 1. OS
> >> CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
> >> 2. KERNEL
> >> Linux version 2.6.18-194.el5-tproxy2 (root <at> localhost.localdomain
> >> <mailto:root <at> localhost.localdomain>)
> >> (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46))
> >> #10 SMP Wed May 26 17:35:19 KST 2010
> >> 3. iptables
> >> iptables-1.3.8 + tproxy2 supporting patch
> >> *-- here is the usage of tproxy2 patched httpd configuration ---*
> >> httpd.conf
> >> <VirtualHost 192.168.200.1:80>
> >> ProxyTproxy On # On/Off flag
> >> ProxyTPifaddr 192.168.200.1 # IP address of bridge interface br0.
> >> example) br0 = eth0 + eth1 ....
> >> </VirtualHost>
> >> i attach the kernel tproxy2 patch to the kernel
> >> above[2.6.18-194.el5-tproxy2 ], httpd-2.2.15 tproxy2 patch and kernel
> >> configuration for tproxy2
> >> above all, i want to know my patch is available or not .. and want
> >> feedback from anyone
> >
> > JeHo;
> > Hi, can you help me understand what the usage case is for this patch?
> > What service or capability does it provide that is not currently available?
>
> In particular, how is X-Forwarded-For not going to provide the
> information required.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Forwarded-For
>
> Graham

I've been trying to configure Apache 2.2.17 for transparency. After applying the
patch I observed that for IPv4 addresses when I try to fetch the client IP after
accept () call, the IP was null. I think, The reason could be attributed to
“--enable-v4-mapped” option due to which Apache treats the incoming IPv4
connections as IPv4 mapped IPv6 addresses and sets the
“(apr_sockaddr_t)->family= APR_INET6”.

So, I expect the option “--disable-v4-mapped” suffice transparency purpose  and
with this option Apache handle IPv4 and IPv6 connections on separate sockets.

Please confirm my understanding OR if it require some additional/extra
configuration. Please let me know the same.

Rgds,
Puneet Mohan