On 24 Aug 2011, at 21:39, Greg Ames wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>

> > If we only merge adjacent ascending ranges, then it seems like an attacker
> > could just craft a header where the ranges jump around and dodge our fix.
> >

> I think no matter what, we should still have some sort of
> upper limit on the number of range-sets we accept… after all,
> merge doesn't prevent jumping around ;)
>

> The problem I have with the upper limit on the number of range sets is the
> use case someone posted for JPEG2000 streaming.  That has a lot of range sets
> but is completely legit.  However, the ranges are in ascending order and
> don't overlap.  Maybe we could count overlaps and/or non-ascending order
> ranges and fall back to 200 + the whole object if it exceeds a limit.

Right - and the other two use cases in the wild are

-       PDF readers - which fetch something at the start in RQ 1 and then the
index form the end - and then quick looks images for each page and title pages.
I've seen them do a second and 3rd request with many 10's of ranges.

-       Some of the streaming video (semi/pro) video editors - which fetch a
bunch of i-Frames and do clever skip over stuff. Not in the high tens; but
10-15 ranges common.

-       Likewise for very clever MXF professional editing equipment - the
largest case (yup - it did crash my server) tried to fetch over 2000 ranges :)

So I think we really should endeavor to allow 50 to a few 100 of them. Or at
the very least - make it a config option to cut off below 50 or so.

Dw.