On 9/15/2011 9:55 AM, Eric Covener wrote:

> sf wanted to fork RewriteRule into a flavor that never guessed if you
> meant to provide a URL or a File for 2.4, and take the oppty to unload
> some other baggage with the new flavors. I am +1 to that for 2.4 (even
> 2.4.>0) since we'd leave RewriteRule intact.

+1 here, too.  Yes, there are RewriteRule 'flags', but as this particular
user observed, getting the flags right can be tricky.  Explicit directives
for uri -> uri, uri -> file and uri -> proxy transformations would be
much less error prone.  In the same spirit as axing the <Foo ~ ""> regex
match syntax becoming <FooMatch "">.