On 29 Nov 2011, at 02:37, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> FWIW
>
> * a normal build defaults to event
> * a multi-MPM build of 2.4 "should" build the MPMs as DSOs

+1.

This is what I'm trying to nail down - to get the packaging to work against the
ideal installation of httpd.

What I am also keen to do is identify modules that bind to external libraries,
and spin them out into dedicated RPMs like we always did with mod_ssl, the idea
being that an installation of the basic server shouldn't bring in any onerous
dependencies on a system.

> Is the RPM design supposed to be aligned with anything else outside of
> httpd 2.4?  Is there some external tooling that expects MPMs to be
> built as with 2.2?  Also, I presume that the build flavor shouldn't
> change within 2.4.x?

Originally we adopted the Redhat RPM spec file to make it easy for people to
drop the ASF provided RPM onto a system and have it work reasonably closely to
the original system, but our packaging has moved ahead of Redhat's at this
point (to my knowledge, anyway).

I hope that other vendors will pick up our packaging as the "canonical" way,
and improve the way httpd is deployed out there.

Regards,
Graham