On 28 Feb 2012, at 11:26 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

>> I don't have access to an AIX machine, so can only rely on Michael's
>> judgement for this. Given that we aren't awash with AIX expertise, we need
>> to put some trust in the person doing the packaging, the same as we do for
>> Netware and other similar platforms.
>
> FWLIW, others on the list have access.

Noone has yet stepped forward if they have, it would be good to get more
experienced eyes on this.

>> I don't see why labeling it "ASF" is a problem. Anyone building the package
>> would be doing so by following a formal procedure codified in the build
>> script, which is in turn published by the ASF, as opposed some vendor's
>> build script.

> Maybe this info would help...  I dunno.  This really is project-only
> scope we're managing, not ASF-wide scope.  Either there is
> coordination among different projects, or it shouldn't look like there
> is.

Of course there is coordination among projects - Michael has packaged (or at
least I understand he has, still waiting to be sent the scripts) the ASF
versions of APR, and the ASF versions of APR-util, which are the logical
dependencies of the ASF version of httpd.

We have been using this naming convention in the Solaris build scripts for many
many years, and I don't see why suddenly this should be a problem, or why we
need to subvert that convention all of a sudden.

>>> What about the todos regarding copyrights and licenses?
>>
>> What specifically about them?
>
> The todo file you committed says that verbatim ;)  What are they, and
> why can't they be resolved before committing?
>
>> From what I can see, AIX packages offer the option to force the end user to
>> accept a license before installing a package, and there is an open question
>> as to whether we do this or not. We don't do it for RPM (nor does RPM let
>> you do this), I see no reason to mandate doing it here.
>
> License acceptance is one thing.  I dunno what the copyright issue is.

Michael, would it be possible to clarify? There is nothing in the license for
httpd that obligates an end user to accept a license before installing, so if
they don't need to now, there is no need to change that.

Regards,
Graham