----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Zisis Lianas <zisis.lia...@consol.de>
> wrote:
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > for me/us it's needed, because we operate with multi-instancing.
> >
> > e.g.:
> > Apache installation directory ("ServerRoot") is /opt/http-2.4.x/
> > (belonging to apache:apache). This installation only provides the
> > httpd binaries/modules.
> >

> ServerRoot does not have to be the directory above
> {bin,libexec,sbin}.
> It should be the directory above {conf,logs}.
>
> When running in this scenario, you do have to have absolute paths to
> your apache modules, eg:
>
> LoadModule status_module /usr/local/libexec/apache22/mod_status.so
>
> rather than:
>
> LoadModule status_module libexec/apache22/mod_status.so
>
> The disadvantage of doing it this way is that you have to specify
> full
> paths to all your modules. The disadvantage of doing it your way is
> that your ServerRoot is not your ServerRoot...

I think this is exactly the point.
You wouldn't want to give up this kind of convenience.
Ideally, you'd like to keep both.

The only reason I can think of providing different versions of
binaries would be to provide a different suexec. But overall it
sounds like overkill - same with modules.

> Cheers
>
> Tom

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883