The main reason I see for the "ProxyPreserveHost trick" is a reverse proxy
setup,
where the backend application builds full qualified links into its HTML output
based
on the information it gets from the Host header. The only other approach in
this case
I can think of would be working with host entries on the reverse proxy to
resolve the name
of the reverse proxy to the IP of the backend which is not really nice either.

Regards

Rüdiger