On 8/8/2012 9:03 AM, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 08:00:25AM +0200, Kaspar Brand wrote:
>> My thinking was that people should explicitly tell configure that they
>> want to link with the libs in a build directory (so that they don't
>> "accidentally" use a directory which might only temporarily exist -
>> that's also the primary reason for preferring the static over the shared
>> libs from that dir).
>
> This all seems totally crazy to me.  Why are we adding complexity to the
> httpd build system so openssl devs can skip typing the " install" part
> of running "make install" when testing against modified versions of
> OpenSSL?  Joe

I concur.

If lib devs wish to use a build tree, it should not be that hard to
properly craft the right symlinks for an 'install in place' model
used for rapid development.

I agree with Ben that this is desireable, but httpd is not the place
to solve it.  openssl.pc can describe such an environment in a useful
manner for developers and solve the entire issue in the lib package.