On 8/8/2012 4:45 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> In this particular case we're talking about using an OpenSSL build
>>> directory, i.e. the generated openssl.pc is sitting in a temporary
>>> location in that build tree (and when used, would output incorrect
>>> includedir/libdir locations).
>>
>> probably a dumb question and I'm missing something, but:
>> why is this necessary at all? Given someone wants to build/link against a
>> development version of OpenSSL why should he ommit the last step of
>> installing OpenSSL to a separate location?
>
> Time taken to iterate in development is an important determiner of
> productivity. Having to do an install for every change introduces
> significant delay. It also has a tendency to make debugging hard.

I agree.

An openssl 'make localinstall' could trivially create the lib, include
trees consisting entirely of symlinks to the origin files in the same
build tree, and create an appropriate openssl.pc file describing the
link steps required to

Rather than solving 'for the httpd case', this would allow you to build
most any app or library depending upon openssl in a sensible way, in
order to diagnose openssl's interoperation with any consumer.

This really isn't the repository to solve openssl's contorted build
issues.