On Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Graham Leggett wrote:
On 07 Nov 2012, at 3:34 PM, Stefan Fritsch <s...@sfritsch.de> wrote:

One could of course. But not everyone has lua, lua is slower than C, and even doing it in a
module instead of core is sometimes more work. For example, currently we set r->protocol
to "HTTP/1.0" even if the original request contained junk. So a module would have
to re-parse the whole request line to get the protocol string sent by the client.

My goal is something that the vast majority of people would want to activate,
and would create pressure on manufacturers of clients that cannot cope with it
to fix their clients.

+1.

Perhaps a "strict mode" that defaults to off in 2.4, and on in 2.5+?

Exactly.