On Thursday 08 November 2012, Nick Kew wrote:
> > I intended to add a directive to easily register custom methods
> > (i.e. call  ap_method_register()). Do you think there is reason
> > to allow arbitrary methods, and not just a configured list of
> > allowed ones?
>
> If methods are to be actively checked, a module needs an API to
> register a method with the checker.

ap_method_register() already exists (probably since 2.0). AFAICS,
modules that handle custom methods internally already have to use it.

> A configuration option might
> still be required for backends (e.g. proxy or CGI) but would
> perhaps be secondary?

Still, that was the case I was talking about. I have checked that CGI
forwards the method without checking. But i expect that proxy and e.g.
mod_fcgid do that, too.