Am 10.06.2013 15:37, schrieb Eric Covener:
> Is there some historical or other reason that the location has higher
> precedence that directory/files?  I think the other way is much more
> intuitive

no - not from the daily use perspective

<Directory               "/">
 Options                 -Indexes -ExecCGI -MultiViews +FollowSymLinks
 AllowOverride           None
 Require                 all denied
</Directory>

does not mean i do not need the possibility to allow
a specific Locations/Aliases outside this and the
same for specific exceptions inside vhosts with <Directory>
directives

use-case: allow specific paths outside the docroot without
allowing the whole directory to be accessed