Hi,

one of my thought was the change from

   worker->s->name

   ap_proxy_worker_name(r->pool, worker)

in logging function.

ap_proxy_worker_name allocates memory in the pool and performs some operations
on strings (apr_pstrcat).

These operations are performed in all cases, even if DEBUG messages are not
logged.

I don't think this should have a real effect on performance. (If I remember
well when I looked at it, there is no ap_log_error calls in sensitive code)

Just to be sure, you could try to simplify ap_proxy_worker_name in Daniel's
build to remove the apr_pstrcat and check performance with his build.

Should you and Daniel have different logging levels, it could explain why you
don't measure the same discrepancy.

Just my 2 cents.

If I have time, I'll give another look tonight.

CJ