On 29 Jan 2014, at 11:17 PM, Erik Pearson <e...@adaptations.com> wrote:

> Actually, the more I've delved and actually used mod_session and friends, the
> more fundamental the changes have become. For instance, a lot of the code
> that lives in mod_session_cookie and mod_session_dbd seems more appropriate
> for mod_cookie -- including session name, session caching, session object
> creation. With such changes, it is quite difficult to isolate into single
> issue diffs.

I'm not following the problem you're trying to solve.

It seems you're trying to rearrange and group technologies together from a
programmer's perspective, instead of grouping functionality together from an
end user's perspective.

Right now, if an end user wants to store a session in a datastore of some kind,
in the classic "application server" model, storing a reference to that session
in a cookie, they enable mod_session_dbd. If instead the end user wants to
store the whole session in the body of a cookie on the client, they enable
mod_session_cookie. In future, should the end user want to store a session in
memory, they might use a future mod_session_socache. What you seem to want to
do is combine mod_session_cookie and mod_session_dbd, simply because a cookie
is involved in both.

That doesn't make life easier for end users, who are only interested in getting
a job done.

Regards,
Graham