On 12.03.2014 01:59, Dr Stephen Henson wrote:
> On 12/03/2014 00:30, Dr Stephen Henson wrote:
>>
>> The fix was applied on Feb 11 2013. That would mean that official releases
>> affected would be 0.9.8y, 1.0.0j and 1.0.1c. Any later official release
>> should
>> include the fix but we weren't planning to make any more 0.9.8 official
>> releases
>> though a 0.9.8 snapshot should include the fix.
>>
>> OS specific versions of OpenSSL might not have included the fix. This is the
>> actual diff:
>>
>> http://git.openssl.org/gitweb/?p=openssl.git;a=commitdiff;h=147dbb2fe3bead7a10
>>

> It looks like the only case this can happen is ssl_init_server_certs where an
> SSL structure is created, SSL_get_certificate called and then it is freed.
>
> If so then calling SSL_set_connect_state before the SSL_get_certificate
> call is a potential workaround. This works because the faulty code isn't used
> by
> SSL structures where ssl->server == 0 and SSL_set_connect_state does that,
> among other things.
>
> This is a bit of a hack because it's called on a server SSL structure. This
> would probably fail horribly if an attempt was made to use the SSL structure
> but
> in this case we're freeing it up immediately so this should hopefully not
> matter.

Following your advice I added the following patch:

http://people.apache.org/~rjung/patches/ssl-init-crash.patch

and switched back to using OpenSSL 1.0.1e. Indeed the crash during
startup didn't occur with that patch in place.

I will wait a bit and if I hear no complains apply to trunk (if noone
beats me to it).

Regards,

Rainer