Hi

I am prototyping a system in which we will have a large number of websocket
connections between multiple clients and a server (potentially) behind
mod_proxy_wstunnel. Currently I am testing a trunk build with the event mpm.
With ProxyWebsocketAsync turned off, communication between client and server
works well except that an Apache thread is held open for each connection (which
is expected). With ProxyWebsocketAsync enabled, these threads are no longer
seen, again as expected. I see two issues though:

1.       While communication from client to server works well, unsolicited
messages from the server to clients seem to queue. If the client subsequently
sends a message back to the server, the original message from the server is
received. I would have expected the data from the server to generate an event
resulting in immediate delivery.

2.       In attempts to debug this I experimented with
ProxyWebsocketAsyncDelay. I observed that when this is used, the connections
never go into async mode. I.e. proxy_tunnel_pump() never returns SUSPENDED. As
a result I see the same thread usage as when ProxyWebsocketAsync is turned off.
Is this expected behavior?

Any insights into what is going on here would be helpful. I noticed that there
have been a number of recent changes both to the event mpm and
mod_proxy_wstunnel. Perhaps there are still some known issues with this code?

Thanks

- Steve

Steve Zweep | Senior Software Engineer
WatchGuard Technologies, Inc. | www.watchguard.com