From: Eric Covener [mailto:cove...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:27 PM
To: Apache HTTP Server Development List
Subject: Re: Question about async mod_proxy_wstunnel and threads

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Steve Zweep <steve.zw...@watchguard.com> wrote:
> 1.       While communication from client to server works well, unsolicited
> messages from the server to clients seem to queue. If the client
> subsequently sends a message back to the server, the original message
> from the server is received. I would have expected the data from the
> server to generate an event resulting in immediate delivery.

your expectation is consistent with mine -- must be a bug.

I don't think my ad-hoc testing had a push like that so it's probably something
small in the managing of the fds -- no reason for it to not be symmetric

> 2.       In attempts to debug this I experimented with
> ProxyWebsocketAsyncDelay. I observed that when this is used, the
> connections never go into async mode. I.e. proxy_tunnel_pump() never returns
> SUSPENDED.
> As a result I see the same thread usage as when ProxyWebsocketAsync is
> turned off. Is this expected behavior?

also not expected

> Any insights into what is going on here would be helpful. I noticed
> that there have been a number of recent changes both to the event mpm
> and mod_proxy_wstunnel. Perhaps there are still some known issues with
> this code?

it is definitely new/rough/experimental and trunk-only.  I just added a note to
the docs now.  I will try to look this weekend at the two issues above.

--
Eric Covener
cove...@gmail.com