I can tell you at cPanel, we’ve had our default Apache version as 2.2 for a
long time.  We’ll be making a change to make 2.4 the default on new
installations soon.  Currently, we have around 90% of our clients on 2.2.  By
the end of next year, I’m looking to have 90% of our customers on 2.4.

This should help adoption rates :)
—
Jacob Perkins
Product Owner