I think this has sat enough in STATUS that I'll commit by lazy consensus
prior to tag and roll of 2.2.30, unless anyone has a legitimate
correction/objection?

It might be worth mentioning that it's been in production for about 3-4
years or so, and only was delayed in 2.2 due to the unavoidable drift
between trunk/2.4 and 2.2 flavors.  We already included the
ported-afterwards functionality in the previous 2.4.12 release, with
apparently no issues.  The patch below is actually the origin of the
enhancement.

   * mpm_winnt service.c: Accept utf-8 service names/descriptions for i18n.
     trunk patches: http://svn.apache.org/r1611165
                    http://svn.apache.org/r1611169
     2.2.x patch:
http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/httpd-2.2-utf8-servicename.patch